BiographyHubert Nakitare, better known as Nonini is one of Kenya’s most famous Urban Music Artistes. He is the Godfather of Genge (Mass Music), and the one artiste who brought to life one of Kenya’s biggest and most influential recording studios (Calif Records), Nonini has been in the industry for 10 years now signed to Decimal Records.
He released his first album ‘Hanyaring Game’ in 2005, followed up by his second album’ Mwisho ya Mawazo’ (Swahili for ‘End of Thoughts’) in 2007. This album was, like the album title suggests, a clearer testament on the life of Nonini and his musical career, his trials and tribulations, etc.
Whenever Nonini puts out an album it always causes ripples in the Kenyan Music Industry in terms of content, professionalism and basically how he re-invents his Image with every album Theme. He is back again with his 3rd album called the Godfather of Genge.
This album truly positions him as one of the greatest Urban Music Artiste Kenya has seen thus far.
2009 has been a huge year for the Godfather in terms of his growth and passion to take his music style genge to that international platform.
1. He was awarded (INTERNATIONAL LIFE STYLE AMBASSADOR) by Limkokwing University.
This award has also been granted to distinguished VIP’s such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Davey, Miss England 2008, Miss India 2006, Eric Way (Sex and the City), Miss Botswana, HE Prince Andrew, HE Festus Moghae (President Of Botswana), Prime Minister of Malaysia. The award is in line with the University’s of building the skills of their young citizens, particularly in the area of new technology, of Sound and Music, Film and Television and other creative courses.
2. He graced 2009 MTV AFRICA VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS (MAMAZ) by giving out the award of best Hip Hop together with HHP from South Africa.
3. Most of His music soundtracks were used by MTV Staying Alive for the HIV AWARENESS Mini-Series SHUGA.
4. His Video Production House Pro Habo has proved to be the best in Kenya in terms of Script Writing and Quality. (Kadhaa was the Best Video 2009)!
5. He was voted one of the best dressed Males 2009 by the Nairobi Star magazine alongside other dignitaries like Raila Odinga, Churchill, Shaffie Weru etc
Other Nonini’s award accolades include;
- Best Male Artiste of the Year (2004) at Chaguo la Teeniez Awards
- Collaboration of the Year for ‘Si Lazima’ (2007) Chaguo la Teeniez Awards
- Group of the Year for ‘P-Unit’ (2007) Chaguo la Teeniez Awards
- Song of the Year for ‘Si Lazima’ (2007) Chaguo la Teeniez Awards
- Best Group (Punit) 2007 Kisima Awards
- Best Group (Punit) 2008 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards.
- Most sizzling Video 2008 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards.
- Chaguo La Teeniez is simply ‘Teens Choice Awards’
- Nonini once endorsed a Motorola V550 phone during a Safaricom promotion through their (Safaricom) dealer Com21 Ltd.
- Nonini was once a celebrity breakfast presenter on the youth-oriented FM station Y FM, now Hot 96.
NONINI – THE ARTISTE
Born Hubert Nakitare in October 1982 in Nairobi’s California Estate in Eastlands, the young Nonini caught the ‘freestyling’ bug in 1999 like many other of his peers when Urban Kenyan Music was kicking in. A friend and fellow MC (T.I.T.O.) introduced him to Clement Rapudo and Paul Nunda, better known as Clemo (the producer) and Juacali (the artiste) and together they began the ‘Genge (Mass Music) Revolution’.
Like many other MC’s in the industry, Nonini represents Genge! Genge is a Swahili word meaning ‘masses’ thus his music is basically ‘Music for the Masses’. His music uses a raw format of slanguistic Swahili known as sheng which is quite understood in the Kenyan streets. Nonini is instrumental in the articulation of a subculture that is not openly spoken about in the past
Entrepreneurship has always been in Nonini’s blood. He owns a clothing line called Nonini Wear and a Video Production Agency called Pro Habo.
Nonini is currently a free lance artiste, recording music in the different production houses and recording studios as he feels fit for any particular song he does. He released his first album in 2005, and is now ready with his second album. His musical journey follows…
Hubert Nakitare, more popularly known as Nonini is undeniably one of Kenya’s most successful, prominent and most importantly, INFLUENTIAL solo urban artistes in the Kenyan Music Industry at this very moment.
His influence is quite obvious, what with the elicited responses and discussions that stem from every time he releases any song / video to the public. He has always been, and will most likely continue to be a controversial figure in Kenya’s Urban Music Industry. The reactions of his fans and all alike make for quite a considerable amount of ‘talk’, and this ranges almost across the age bracket. His strongest and ardent fans seem to range from 14 – 30 years, with an obvious spill-over both ways. Interestingly enough, quite a majority of his fans are female, and this could be due to the fact that as bold as he is, he touches them somewhere deep down REALISTICALLY.
Talk among his peers and especially some ‘industry insiders and heavyweights’ reveal that one of the strong reasons for Nonini being a top notch artiste is the realness in him. A critical look at his peers in the industry reveals that while most of them (his peers) struggle to portray an image of ‘hardcore, hard life’, etc, they seem ‘plastic’. Nonini was rated as the one Kenyan artiste who invokes his lifestyle and that of his friends and neighbors through his music. There is no exaggeration about him. It’s all REAL; his language, his behavior, his lyrics, his ordeals, etc. It all comes from his heart.